About the PA
Additional information about working hours
|Since September 2018, I have worked at a Special Needs School as a Teaching Assistant, working with a range of Secondary-aged pupils, varying from Moderate Learning Difficulties to Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties. I qualified as a Higher Level Teaching Assistant in March 2020 and recently stepped into this role in March 2021. As an individual, I am very passionate and driven. I really care about making a difference to someone’s day and helping those who I work with to reach their individual potential. I am always enthusiastic and bring a positive attitude wherever I go.
I work with pupils with a wide variety of needs, this includes, but is not limited to: Autism, ADHD, Global Developmental Delay, Behavioural Difficulties, Cerebral Palsy, Down’s Syndrome, Hydrocephalus (Shunt), Hearing Impairment, Tourette’s.
Over the last 3 years I have received a variety of training and experience including:
· Safeguarding Training: I know how to protect the health and wellbeing of those who I work with and I take pride knowing that I am very attentive to make sure this is always paramount.
· Manual Handling: I am trained, highly experienced and confident in using slings, hoists and handling belts to support children with daily activities, including personal care. I do this daily at school. I have good knowledge of a variety of equipment including wheelchairs, walking frames, walkers, standing frames, P-Pod Chairs, Leckey Chairs, Acheeva Beds etc.
· PROACT-SCIPr-UK: Positive Range of Options to Avoid Crisis and use Therapy – Strategies for Crisis Intervention and Prevention. This is the approach I am trained to use at school to deal with challenging behaviours, including the use of approved physical interventions in the interest of Health & Safety, as well as a proactive approach to prevent this happening in the first instance. I am comfortable dealing with children who may display challenging behaviour.
· Emergency First Aid Trained.
· Gastrostomy Feeds: I have received training from MCH Nurses on administering medication, pump feeds, bolus feeds and winding via gastrostomy (both PEG and Mic-Key buttons). I also do this daily at school so I am very confident in supporting children in this way.
· Epilepsy: I have worked with children with epilepsy and safely deal with their seizures on a regular basis. I have plenty of experience surrounding epilepsy and I have deepened my knowledge by receiving training from MCH Nurses on how to safely deal with seizures and administer emergency medication, whilst following a child’s care plan – buccolam, diazepam and paraldehyde.
· Anaphylaxis: I have worked with children with allergies and know how to ensure the environment is always safe for them. I have received training from MCH Nurses on how to administer an Epi-Pen in the event of an anaphylactic reaction.
· Asthma: I know how to administer a variety of inhalers via aero chamber and have received training from MCH Nurses on this. I am confident in dealing with asthma.
· Dysphagia Training: I have received training on how to safely feed those who have difficulties with swallowing. I know how to closely monitor the person I am supporting to eat to ensure it is safe and I have worked closely with Speech and Language Therapists to ensure food/drink is at the right consistency for the individual. I have experience with Resource Thicken Up Clear thickener.
· Communication Aids: I work daily with pupils with communication difficulties, including non-verbal children and I have a wide range of experience in using different communication aids, including auditory scanning, E-Tran board, communication book, PECs, PODD books, Makaton signing, iPads with an aid app.
· Hearing Impairments: I have experience in supporting children with hearing impairments. I know how to use BAHAs and Hearing Aids and can support children to change the batteries if required. I also have experience using a hearing aid transmitter.
· Rebound Therapy: I am a trained Level 2 Rebound Therapist and really enjoy supporting children during their rebound sessions. I also worked at a trampoline park for 3 years.