First Aid at Work (3 Day)
The aim of this course is to support individuals to gain the knowledge and confidence required in dealing with emergencies confidently and effectively through theoretical and practical instruction. It aims to train and skill staff to provide first aid to deal with illness and injury in the workplace.
This course is suitable for all individuals who are required to have the 3-day First Aid at Work Certificate in order to deal with emergencies in their job role. It is intended for any member of an organisation is required to undertake the role of a qualified First Aider.
- Role of the First Aider
- Recording incidents and actions
- Importance of basic hygiene
- Acting safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Unconscious casualty
- Wounds and bleeding
- Recognising major illnesses (including heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, diabetes, asthma)
- Injuries to muscles and joints
- Spinal injuries
- Burns and scalds
- Eye injuries and eye irrigation
- Anaphylatic shock
On successful completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Gain the confidence to act safely, promptly and effectively in emergencies
- Have an understanding of the importance of personal hygiene in first aid procedures
- Gain the knowledge and skills to manage bleeding and choking
- Be able to carry out resuscitation and understand the management of an unconscious casualty
- Recognise the symptoms of shock and understand the treatment
- Gain knowledge in treating major illnesses
- Deal with seizures and treat correctly
The course assessment will consist of continuous question and answer assessment during the 3 days training and there will be two short multiple choice questionnaires and practical assessments.
Upon successful completion of the course and assessment exercises, learners will be awarded a certificate from the Association of First Aid (AoFA). The certificate is valid for 3 years. Please note that the HSE recommend the completion a Basic Skills Update (BSU) course annually in years one and two following certification. The BSU course is 3 hours in duration.
This is a 3 day course.iShare event page